There have been a fair handful of references by Metafilter users over the years to this Orwell quote, from his novel 1984:
“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stomping on a human face — forever.”
Some of those references have been direct quotes, with or without irony; others have been less faithful to George. For example: “If you want a picture of the future, imagine a dachsund loading a tennis ball launcher — forever.”
It has been quoted straight by mefites in reference to:
The more creative reinterpretations of the phrase include, aside from the dachsund line above, these:
– imagine a clown kicking you in the nuts — forever.
– imagine a taser being used on anyone who makes a fuss — forever.
– imagine a shoe tapping on a bathroom floor – forever
– imagine a llama spitting on a human face—forever!
– imagine innovative marketing stamping on a human face—forever.
– “imagine a Cole Haan stamping on a human face – forever.” –Young Republican Intern.
– imagine a biodegradable, vegan, pleather stilletto boot stomping on a human face forever
There are also more allusive bits here and there, bringing out one bit or another of the phrase without bothering with the whole quote:
– “There’s that saying about a boot repeatedly stomping on a face, forever”
– “Talk about a boot stomping on a human face, forever.”
– “ Boot stomping on human face forever, etc. etc.”
– “(a boot stomping a face)”
– “a nice picture of a boot stomping a human face?”
– “Metafilter: a boot stomping on a human face — forever.”
And even, like some rug tying this Orwello-canine room together, “Imagine a little dachshund going around in circles in a wading pool forever”.
These are what I could glean from some searching on metafilter alone; I’m sure there’s a lot more that could be culled from some general googling, but this is proof at least of some of the snowclone-ish flexibility of Orwell’s stark caricature.